Monday 5 April 2010

Lip Syncing Animation - Performance Piece. The start anyway lol

Well, I had difficulty thinking what dialogue to choose because there are SO many films to choose from. Originally I thought of 'Fight Club' when the main character realises he IS Tyler (sorry for spoiling everyone), then I thought of Seven, another Brad Pitt film. I loved the ending since it really surprised me and left me thinking even after watching the film. It was so emotional and the acting between the three actors were amazing. If you don't mind the ending being spoilt, click here for the link:
WARNING:SPOILER!!!



I was originally planning to do this, but I realised, I didn't want to animate three characters, it would cause too much stress for me and it wasn't a scene where I could only focus on one. I think also, the length of this scene would be too long for me to animate by myself so I decided against this.

Afterwards, I thought about Jack Sparrow from the first 'Pirates of the Carribean' where he was stranded on the island since that was personally my favourite scene, but then I heard Gerome was doing Jack Sparrow also and decided against it. I wanted to be different.

Then it came to me. Donnie Darko. This was at one point my favourite film because on the surface, it seems like a typical teenage film that's confusing, but when you look beneath the surface, it is quite complex. I've watched the film many times and thought about it and that's what I like about this film. I love the fact that Donnie Darko himself, is very complex, rebellious yet at the same time intellectual. When everyone thinks of Donnie Darko, the Smurf scene comes to mind because of his intelligent interpretation that over rules his friends' stupid bantering which suddenly turns them quiet. Here's the scene:



The reason why I decided against this, is because, it's such a well known scene which wasn't my personal favourite. In addition, the scene would be too long to animate for me since I can't cut Donnie's dialogue since there are no breaks. The reason for that is because he finds the stupid subject so frustrating that he speaks very quickly and aggressively.

The clip I decided to choose from Donnie Darko was when Donnie Darko speaks against Jim Cunningham's methods. He strongly disagrees with his approach to life (where he states there are only two emotions, fear and love) as well as his advice to the students confessing their problems. This is the point where he stands up for the students as well as the audience and rebels. This is personally my favourite scene because of how daring Donnie is.



I would like to animate from 4:47 to somewhat near the end. I want to include Jim Cunningham's dialogue but not animate him since it would be too much for me to do. I feel, it's important to include it since it will give context to Donnie's dialogue so you can see what he's responding and reacting towards.

The dialogue

Jim Cunningham: You see the fear people? This boy is scared to death of the truth. Son, it breaks my heart to say this, but I believe you’re a very troubled and confused young man. I believe you are searching for the answers in all the wrong places.

Donnie Darko: You’re right actually I am pretty, I’m-I’m pretty troubled and I’m-and I’m pretty confused, but I… and I’m afraid, really, really afraid. Really afraid, But I…I…I think you’re a fucking antichrist.

After listening to the section I want to use, I have broken it down into detail and took into great consideration of how they say their dialogue as well as why Donnie may use certain tones when speaking:

Jim Cunningham: You see [elongated] the fear people? [Pause] This boy is scared [scared is elongated to emphasise this word] to death of the truth. Son, [Pause] it breaks my heart to say this, [Pause] but I believe you’re a very troubled and confused young man. I believe you are searching for the answers in all [turns soft, to show as if he cares] the wrong places.

Donnie Darko: You’re right actually [Laughing, patronising] I am pretty, I’m, I’m pretty troubled and I’m-and I’m pretty confused, but I… and I’m afraid, really, really afraid. [could be referring to the problems he’s been experiencing through out the film such as meeting Frank, and being told the world will end after a certain period of time. He’s made it clear, he’s afraid of what’s going on and this may have affected the tone here when he says it. At this point, even though he’s attacking Jim Cunningham’s methods, he’s being honest here.] [Pause] Really afraid, But I…I…I think you’re a fucking antichrist. [When he says “I think you’re a fucking antichrist, his face turns serious, he’s putting all his negativity in those words. He’s not talked seriously up until this moment, but he puts emphasis on the expletive to show how frustrating Jim Cunningham’s views have been. Donnie is being confident and rebellious but this is how he truly feels. It feels like a relief for the students as well as the audience for Donnie to be the one to express what everyone is thinking].


After I had got to grasp with that, I started quickly sketching poses in according to sections of dialogue Donnie says.



"You're right actually [Laughing]



"I am pretty, I'm, I'm pretty troubled and I'm-and I'm pretty confused"



"But I...and I'm afraid, really, really afraid. Really afraid.

Well, that's all I've done for now. I shall post as I progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment